Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Complete" Albums List

I just wanted to take a break in the day to talk about the best complete albums that I can think of off the top of my head. Nowadays, it's hard to find a group that can put together a solid album that is great to listen to from front to back. The whole driver behind releasing an album is to get a specific single out. Back in the day, hit singles were still really popular, but more weight was put on the composition of the album - it was a more holistic approach.

To prove a point that that way of thinking in the record industry isn't dead I've included some albums that I believe merit recognition because of their overall composition. These are not in any particular order:

  1. Amplified Heart by Everything But the Girl - An english boy/girl duo that performed in the 80s and 90s, this album was considered the last focused attempt towards an acoustic-driven set before they turned mostly electronica/house in the early to mid 90's. While always having consistently high quality, this album put them on the "mainstream music" map with the track entitled "Missing". The album is my favorite album of all time. It's good for a Saturday/Sunday morning when you feel like mosing around or going on a brisk, fall walk in the park. The lyrics are rich, content beautifully put together. I've listened to it so many times that it really has grown on me. I think it's a diamond in the rough - not sure if everyone would agree with me. Full disclosure: my parents listened to this album a lot when I was growing up. There is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the reasons I like it so much.
  2. Mercury Falling by Sting - I know. I know. It's Sting -bla bla bla. I know I get crap from the young crowd from this pick, BUT he's a great musician! If you've ever gotten into Sting's portfolio of work, it ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of hits he's been able to come out with (even more if you include his Police years). This album is one of my favorite Fall/Winter albums. It's dark with mature themes salt and peppered throughout.
Those are my two expanded reasonings for having those be on my list. The ones below are the other ones on my list that don't need much explaining...

3. Drops of Jupiter by Train
4. Broken Bells by Broken Bells
5. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
6. Junk of the Heart by The Kooks
7. Moondance by Van Morrison
8. Exile on Main St. by The Rolling Stones
9. Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin
10. Breakfast in America by Supertramp
11. All the Stars and Boulevards by Augustana
12. Thriller by Michael Jackson
13. Illmatic by Nas
14.There are a few select others that should be on this list but I can't think of them right now...

Feel free to comment on albums that you think are some of the best, complete albums in music.

Steve - feel free to add your own list of your favorite complete albums...

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment