Friday, September 7, 2012

First trip out to Montana + Winter Traveling Update

Montana

Sam's Tap Room at Red Lodge Ales
At the end of August, I got to go to Montana for the first time on business. The excitement around the trip stemmed from the fact that I picked up fly fishing earlier in the summer. Packing up my fly rod and gear I was beside myself. Fly fisherman around the country save up money to go on trips to Montana and I was going for free and was going to be situated on the Yellowstone River - one of the most renown fly fishing rivers in North America.



Beartooth Pass
The night before I departed I was staring up at the ceiling in bed until midnight. It was as if Santa was coming. Upon arrival and completing my work day I set off to Red Lodge, MT - a town about 50 minutes west of Billings. I set up outside of town along the Rock Creek river, a tributary of the Yellowstone that flows out of the Beartooth Mountains. The first night I was fish-less. Red Lodge is a nice, quant town that has a great brewery on the outskirts. Their double IPA is killer and you can't beat their prices.
Rock Creek River

Overall, the fishing was great. I only reeled in two fish for the four nights I spent there but wading on the Yellowstone and Rock Creek was unbelievably peaceful and rewarding. I'm looking forward to my next trip out there.



Baby Brown Trout




Winter Travel Plans

My January and February months are going to fly by. Here are my travel plans so far:


  • A 7 day ski trip to Denver
  • A 5 day ski trip to Utah
  • A 6 day trip to Hawaii. (hopefully learning how to surf and getting in some bone fishing with the fly rod)


Round 2 coming up this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment