Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Movie Recommendation

For the last week I debated on composing something about the entire Sandusky/Paterno scandal. The coverage is on ESPN, NPR and any other semi-news oriented media outlet. After I let the cheese cool and further thought, I realized the situation is fairly black and white. No need to speak my opinion in extreme depth. The individuals defending Penn State, Paterno or any of the administration staff are very off target. Think harder if you are defending the glaringly incorrect. Pretend one of those individuals was your child or sibling. I feel we all draw the friendship line when our friends are showering with children 50+ years younger than themselves. It's difficult to see our idols and heroes in disturbing situations but everyone is human. It's tragic to see a legend's career end this way, but what happened has happened.

Regardless, I have a film to recommend for the five people who will read this. "The Trotsky" has been sitting in my "Instant Queue" on Netflix for a few months. Before I hit "x" on my XBOX and deleted it to never be watched again, I selected to view the movie. Needless to say, watching the "The Trotsky" was once of the better decisions I've made since I graduated.

Quick Summary - The film is about 17-year-old Leon Bronstein (Jay Baruchel) who thinks he is the reincarnation of Russian Revolution leader Leon Trotsky. After staging a strike at his father's (Saul Rubinek) factory, he is sent to a public school as punishment. Leon quickly lends new meaning to the term 'student union', determined as he is to live out his pre-ordained destiny to the fullest and change the world.

I promise the movie is better than my summary. I'm not sure how I initially thought I would like the film, but I understand now why I enjoyed it so much. Although not on the same level as Wes Anderson, "The Trotsky" provides a "Rushmore" feel. The film is off-beat, unique and smart. Technically, you could categorize the movie as an "Indie teen film," but the Russian revolutionary references/jokes probably fly over most teen's heads. I wouldn't expect too many 16-year-olds to pick-up on the silent film reference to "The Battleship Potemkin" with the baby in the carriage rolling down the Odessa Steps. However, you don't need to understand all the history references to enjoy the film; it only makes the movie a richer experience -- but being super stupid would be a difficult variable to overcome to enjoy this film.

Critic Liz Braun says the movie at times "flirts with greatness, and those times are courtesy on Jay Baruchel's performance." Braun is dead-on. The entire cast is good -- very good, but Baruchel's performance and comedic delivery is phenomenal. He simply drives the film. Baruchel and the script provoke hilarious moments, thought provoking ones and awkward but good scenes. I'm a sucker for any movie with a romantic-comedy feel, but this film's history background makes it something deeper.

I'm not saying this is an Academy Award nominee, but it's worth your time. Once again, you shouldn't be super stupid if you decide to watch it -- just sayin'. I like history, referendums, laughing and distinctiveness. If you don't like any of those things, then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment