Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Caffé Espresso: A Green Bay Gem

I noticed while in college many of my fellow students never thought too highly of the greater Green Bay, WI dining options. Outside of your standard Texas Roadhouse, Noodles and Company, Olive Garden and Applebee's (if you've been to Applebee's you've also been to Chili's and T.G.I. Friday's), I doubt many people, even those from Green Bay, know of some of the phenomenal places to dine. You have to converse with locals to usually find these places. However, I can recall one Green Bay native once telling me their favorite place in GB to grab drinks was Applebee's, and I couldn't believe they admitted that self-belittling fact -- I felt embarrassed for them. I mean, I guess I moderately understand what they are saying; I refuse to ever go to Applebee's again unless I'm inappropriately intoxicated. Regardless, Green Bay has a few establishments I can recommend.

Believe it or not, Downtown GB holds some found-in-a-diaper-gold eateries. Outside of the high and low bar scene, cleverly weaved around crap joints like Kittner's and amazing places like St. Berndan's Inn, there is my favorite restaurant of the city -- Caffé Espresso.

I was introduced to Caffé Espresso by my father, and since then I never turn down an opportunity to step into the restaurant's doors. If you are looking for a good cup of coffee, solid alcohol beverages, a fantastic meal or just a place to have a conversation; check Caffé Espresso out. When I interned only a few blocks away I tried to make a weekly trip there. I'm still astounded such an establishment exists next to the poopy country bar, Stir-Ups.

Caffé Espresso draws an extremely diverse crowd along with with an unbeatable, unique experience between a "let your hair down" atmosphere and a supper club setting. The dark and jazzy lighting throughout the small bar/lounge and dining area has a Dinkytown presence.

I have trouble recommending what to get for food, since I've never had anything there I didn't love. My personal favorites are the impressive CCQ and Sicilian Steak Sandwich. The first time I had that sandwich I didn't realize food could taste that good. Nonetheless, Caffé Espresso's menu has assorted Greek and Mexican options -- all extraordinary amazing. Price range? I would say you could get a full meal for roughly $13.00 (including meal and coffee). Not cheap but nothing outrageous. In addition, for those of you into coffee-liquor drinks - prepare to be blown away.

I'm not knocking on you haters who live for Red Robin or Subway, but I want to introduce people to a privately owned, well-run and underrated place to eat. Like many, I'm big into the counter culture businesses. Caffé Espresso is my favorite place to court girls on dates, catch up with a friend or conduct some business logistics. Hit it up!

Their website -- http://www.cafesprso.com/index.html#index

1 comment: